Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PoE is total SHIT, therefore BUY IT NOW - Steam Curator Page X Review

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Vault Dweller said:
Sadly, I'm not the one who can answer this question as I stopped playing in Act 2 and can't force myself to continue.

What's stopping you? (I stopped in early Act 3 and also can't force myself to continue, but I've read about the rest)

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
Yet they were all very different. BG2, IWD, PST, etc, so you can't review the game accurately (or at all) just by focusing on combat.

It's not that simple. PST has been a top game around here for more than a decade. PoE has more role-playing options than all the IE games combined. Of course, the question is, is it enough to make it a good RPG that can be praised despite its combat, the same way PST and MotB are praised. Sadly, I'm not the one who can answer this question as I stopped playing in Act 2 and can't force myself to continue. Maybe after they patch it a few times.

That RPG options are very superficial, you could make your reviews examining this, but then it would be a negative review. Which everyone stated isn't going to be the case. And considering your Wasteland 2 review I'm inclined to think you'll be too generous.

All infinity engine games are about combat, the exception of torment. If the goal was to make a new infinity engine like game, which it was, then combat was still the main focus.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Plus all them BG fans who think that BG RtwP is better than PoE RTwP.

Even it's just that, it's a good reason as any (especially considering the combat heavy nature of both PoE and BG).

To take simple action games for comparison, if I enjoyed Quake, Blood and DN3D that it no way means I'll enjoy a modern static FPS with cover system, regenerating health and turret sections anywhere near as much, no matter how much those modern features are considered to be improvements over the old formula by a number of people.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Why would anyone expect the Codex Curator page to not be retarded? It's run by people who use Steam Codex staff.
fixd

Let's make a CDS curator page.:happytrollboy:
Ed123 Bruticis raw LundB Menckenstein evdk and everyone else. I ain't got time to tag everyone
I would only qualify for strategy titles. Because RPGs are for women and faggots. And more importantly, for this to end up any less retarded than the current list, these pieces need to be written by people with enthusiasm for the respective title and a will to dig down on it. I doubt anyone in CDS actually cares about 'gaming' enough that he's willing to drop time on this nonsense. Perhaps evdk, but do you really want Boredlands/Final Faggotry as our flag ship reviews? I don't think so.

Miserable Panda

Educated
I throughly enjoyed the game. There are some points however, that are remarkably true:
-The info-dump. Walls and walls of text, disorganized and sometimes complete unnecessary. When you have to resort to this option, your plot is not really working.
-The unrewarding process of leveling, almost no individuality between different classes, with three lists of different perks that change tiny aspects of the gameplay-
-Itemization, completely random and the loss of "uniqueness", surprisingly different to BG.
-Good companions with relevant back stories, who suffer from irrelevant personal quests (However, Grieving mother, the character written by Avellone, was fantastic)

The graphics are optimal, and I felt that the gameplay and the UI were really satisfying, with correct difficulty and random encounters.

The thing that annoyed me the most:
-The freaking npcs with the golden boxes, seriously, if you are going to write a short story for a game, please learn how to. The first ones were bearable, but later on they didnt make sense.
I know it was optional, but I swear, they were swarming the god damn city. At one point I was tempted to go on a murderous rampage. Which of course, I did.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
(I stopped in early Act 3 and also can't force myself to continue, but I've read about the rest)

What's stopping you?

For me it was loading screens taking longer and longer, very repetitive combat encounters and a story that was getting duller and duller with poor choices, yet very specific, and ways for me to react to it. The only thing that kept me forward is Thaos. Got me curious.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Vault Dweller said:
Sadly, I'm not the one who can answer this question as I stopped playing in Act 2 and can't force myself to continue.

What's stopping you? (I stopped in early Act 3 and also can't force myself to continue, but I've read about the rest)
I don't know. It's kinda ... meh? Not much to look forward to? I liked the dungeons but clicking on enemies gets boring fast. The loot isn't really there, so you get a bunch of shit, sell it to pay for the castle improvements because it's the only game in town. Every now and then you get a really cool option (like that thing in that dungeon) and that's it.

The options are great, but the quest/setting logic is often lacking. I had that brothel quest - someone's causing trouble! Trouble, you say? Say no more, I'm bored and need something to do! So I go outside and get attacked, click on the trash mob, they die, eventually I find the place where the attackers are coming from. Great, it's the asshole faction. You guys attacked me! If combat wasn't fucking horrible, I could have died or got injured or something. What? A peaceful solution? You want what now? You're butthurt that the prices in the brothel are too high? Power to the people? So you send assholes to attack people on sight because the fucking prices on ass and pussy are too high? Who writes this shit?

Vault Dweller

Developer
That RPG options are very superficial, you could make your reviews examining this, but then it would be a negative review. Which everyone stated isn't going to be the case.
Am I supposed to be responsible for what people say? I wasn't asked to write a positive review and I made no promises (other than trolling BG fans).

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
Am I supposed to be responsible for what people say? I wasn't asked to write a positive review and I made no promises (other than trolling BG fans).

No, indeed, a negative review is in order for a game that's neither a good tactical combat RPG, nor a good story driven RPG.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Vault Dweller said:

I don't know. It's kinda ... meh? Not much to look forward to?

Heh sounds a bit like me.

Who writes this shit?

Interns / new hires :P

Not that whether you're new or not means much as to how good of a level designer you might be, but the PE level design team included four new designers who'd never worked on a game before. They were generally the ones in charge of minor quests I think (Matt Perez and Ryan Torres who were interns still in school when they started on PE) did lots of the mini quests in Defiance Bay.

As a level designer don't you just have to be pretty good at implementing content?

Last edited:

Vault Dweller

Developer
The freaking npcs with the golden boxes, seriously, if you are going to write a short story for a game, please learn how to. The first ones were bearable, but later on they didnt make sense.
Fucking hated it. Nothing breaks immersion faster than these fanfiction morons with their shitty stories.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
Nope. It was probably the fanfiction tier writer they hired. The Indian girl. Take a look at her work and you'll understand where most of the idiocy is from. Frensternmaker is additionaly, not a good writer. And Ziets was booted early.

They don't like turning the tide in battle with a well-placed -10% recovery time debuff, which they find boring, but want something more spectacular, a la BG mage battles.

Actually, that's kinda untrue. Sawyer might tell any kinds of things in his interviews (I don't give a fuck so I haven't read any), but all the "effects in the game are too unnoticeable" is absolutely untrue. There are lots of high-impact, incredibly noticeable spells in the game, even on the first and second level.

The druid, for example, has his 20 seconds of blindness AoE nuke at level 1 (which is an incredibly strong debuff), 60 endurance heal on level one (which, at this stage of the game, pretty much doubles the party's HPs) and the 6 DR increase buff at level 2 (which is also insanely strong and noticeable through all of the game, especially on hard and lower difficulty).

The point of my example wasn't so much about quantity, but quality. I get the impression that people don't miss BG's spells because they were more powerful, or whatever, but because they were more "interesting" in affecting not just primary and derived stats, but in introducing wholly new gameplay elements (and thus inherently difficult to balance ones), with spells like invisibility.

I have the feeling that that's what people most miss about things like hard counters. Not the rock, paper, scissors puzzle element to it, but that it derives from spells having unique effects that can only be countered with similarly unique means.

I think it has to do with people expecting fantasy magic to involve things that are at least somewhat (mechanically) fantastical, not rote status effects (kind of like simulationists like me getting upset over guns operating mechanically as slow, long range punches in this game, as opposed to them having unique requirements ;) ).

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Infinitron just out of curiousity what's the average view count of our reviews? And what's the view count of Roxor's one? It's by far the most crushing PoE review I've read on the interwebs and I've read my share. I wonder if people took a notice.

Just to get a rough picture about the real impact of this asylum on the world out there.

Shevek

Arcane
It was obvious from the first snippet that vd posted that he would not give it a glowing review.

Sensuki

Arcane
I wonder if people took a notice.

Just to get a rough picture about the real impact of this asylum on the world out there.

Who is people?

Outside of the codex, it was posted on reddit - some people agreed, some people disagreed. It was posted on the steam forums, same story. There was a pretty good article comparing it against the RPGWatch review. Something Awful and GameFAQs thought it was aids.

Chris Avellone didn't retweet it :smug:

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Infinitron just out of curiousity what's the average view count of our reviews? And what's the view count of Roxor's one? It's by far the most crushing PoE review I've read on the interwebs and I've read my share. I wonder if people took a notice.

Beats me, ask DU.

The point of my example wasn't so much about quantity, but quality. I get the impression that people don't miss BG's spells because they were more powerful

These two things are routinely conflated though, ie, there are a whole bunch of people on this forum who will swear that PoE's spells literally don't do anything that they can notice

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Vault Dweller said:

I don't know. It's kinda ... meh? Not much to look forward to? I liked the dungeons but clicking on enemies gets boring fast. The loot isn't really there, so you get a bunch of shit, sell it to pay for the castle improvements because it's the only game in town. Every now and then you get a really cool option (like that thing in that dungeon) and that's it.

The options are great, but the quest/setting logic is often lacking. I had that brothel quest - someone's causing trouble! Trouble, you say? Say no more, I'm bored and need something to do! So I go outside and get attacked, click on the trash mob, they die, eventually I find the place where the attackers are coming from. Great, it's the asshole faction. You guys attacked me! If combat wasn't fucking horrible, I could have died or got injured or something. What? A peaceful solution? You want what now? You're butthurt that the prices in the brothel are too high? Power to the people? So you send assholes to attack people on sight because the fucking prices on ass and pussy are too high? Who writes this shit?

K now I really want this review..

MFW the PoE apologists say VD's Review isn't the REAL review anymore. :smug:

(I stopped in early Act 3 and also can't force myself to continue, but I've read about the rest)

What's stopping you?

For me it was loading screens taking longer and longer, very repetitive combat encounters and a story that was getting duller and duller with poor choices, yet very specific, and ways for me to react to it. The only thing that kept me forward is Thaos. Got me curious.

Act 4, Latest Patch, Quicksave takes like 45 seconds. Don't want merchants to forget about all those Skaald masks I sold them in Act 3..

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
The point of my example wasn't so much about quantity, but quality. I get the impression that people don't miss BG's spells because they were more powerful, or whatever, but because they were more "interesting" in affecting not just primary and derived stats, but in introducing wholly new gameplay elements (and thus inherently difficult to balance ones), with spells like invisibility.

Well, the thing is, I just went over the BG's list of spells and I haven't found much things that didn't had a direct analogue in the PoE. Pretty much Invisibility + some of the exploration only stuff like clairvoyance or detect alignment or knock. In terms of combat, it's all more or less the same, without BG showcasing anything drastically different. I've looked at BG 1 spells only, mind you.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Well, the thing is, I just went over the BG's list of spells and I haven't found much things that didn't had a direct analogue in the PoE. Pretty much Invisibility + some of the exploration only stuff like clairvoyance or detect alignment or knock. In terms of combat, it's all more or less the same, without BG showcasing anything drastically different. I've looked at BG 1 spells only, mind you.

Mirror Image, Dimensional Door Way, Knock, Dispel (Hard Counter?), Protection From Evil / Detect Evil (Priest Spell?), Buffs that can be cast on things besides the wizard casting it.. Plus many more, some you listed.

It would be a shorter list to list the spells they DO share.. Spoiler.. Evocation School.

Even when they share common spells.. The spellcasting in PoE suffers from "Everyone is a Wizard Ninja" Syndrome. It doesn't feel powerful or expensive or rewarding to cast spells.. Maybe it's unfair to compare that in BG 1 to PoE though since BG 1 was a low level campaign.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
That RPG options are very superficial, you could make your reviews examining this, but then it would be a negative review. Which everyone stated isn't going to be the case.
Lol, this is going to priceless. After Roxor said unpleasant truths without taking the trouble to sugarcoat the language, and fanboys braced themselves that "the real review", "the official review" would come to apply butthurt-alleviating salves, seeing the "official" review repeat the same truths will be so much fun to observe.

:kfc:

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter

Attempting to summon DarkUnderlord

I believe this is relevant.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom